400 of the World’s Most Influential Business and Government Leaders to Attend Bloomberg’s First-Ever New Economy Forum in Singapore on November 6-7, 2018
Anwar Ibrahim, Christine Lagarde and David M. Solomon confirmed as new speakers
Jack Ma, Mukesh Ambani and Eyal Ofer to join the forum’s Advisory Board, led by Honorary Chair Dr. Henry Kissinger and co-chaired by Hank Paulson and Zeng Peiyan
New York and Singapore, October 4, 2018 – Bloomberg today announced preliminary speakers and the agenda for the inaugural New Economy Forum, hosted by Michael R. Bloomberg in Singapore on November 6-7, 2018. The forum will convene a first-ever gathering of 400 preeminent leaders to begin seeking private sector-led solutions to challenges created by a world economy in transition, increasingly led by China and India as well as rising powers in Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America. The goal of the forum is to identify emerging issues that governments have been unable or unwilling to address and commit to steps that will ensure global stability and growth.
“Following the Global Business Forum, we will be hosting the inaugural New Economy Forum in Singapore in November to continue the constructive dialogue we had last week on trade, globalization and innovation,” said Michael R. Bloomberg, founder of Bloomberg L.P. and Bloomberg Philanthropies, mayor of New York City from 2002-2013, UN Special Envoy for Climate Action and WHO Global Ambassador for Non-communicable Diseases. “The new emerging world order is creating emerging challenges – issues that the private sector can take steps to ensure global stability and growth, an urgent mission in the face of chronic inaction by governments.”
The New Economy Forum was established with the support of ten Founding Partners and their leaders, including 3M CEO Mike Roman; ADNOC CEO H.E. Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber;Dangote Group CEO Aliko Dangote; ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Darren W. Woods;FedEx Chairman and CEO Frederick W. Smith; HSBC Group Chief Executive John M. Flint; Hyundai Motor Company Vice Chairman Euisun Chung;Mastercard President and CEO Ajay Banga; Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella; and SoftBank Group Chairman and CEO Masayoshi Son.
Speakers and participants at the New Economy Forum include:
- Mukesh Ambani, Chairman, Reliance Industries
- Ian Bremmer, President and Founder, Eurasia Group
- Carlos Brito, CEO, Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Steve Case, Chairman and CEO, Revolution
- Gary Cohn, Former Assistant to the U.S. President for Economic Policy and Director of the National Economic Council
- Mohamed El-Erian, Chief Economic Adviser, Allianz
- Laurence D. Fink, Chairman and CEO, BlackRock
- Orit Gadiesh, Chairman, Bain & Company
- Anwar Ibrahim, Malaysia’s prime-minister in waiting
- Sri Mulyani Indrawati, Minister of Finance of Indonesia
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, President of Global Corporate Affairs, Tata; former Foreign Secretary of India
- Kai-Fu Lee, Chairman and CEO of Sinovation Ventures
- Christine Lagarde, Managing Director, International Monetary Fund
- Jorge Paulo Lemann, Founder, 3G Capital
- Charles Li, CEO, HKEX Group
- Peter Mandelson, Global Counsel Co-Founder and Chairman
- Strive Masiyiwa, Founder and Executive Chairman, Econet Group
- Ravi Menon, Managing Director, Monetary Authority of Singapore
- Luis Alberto Moreno, President, Inter-American Development Bank
- Nandan Nilekani, Infosys Limited Chairman
- Lubna Al-Olayan, Chief Executive Officer, Olayan Financing Company
- David Rubenstein, The Carlyle Group Co-Founder and Co-CEO
- Kevin Rudd, Former Australia Prime Minister and President of the Asia Society Policy Institute
- Minouche Shafik, Former Deputy Governor, Bank of England; Director, London School of Economics and Politics
- David M. Solomon, CEO, Goldman Sachs
- Anthony Tan, Co-founder and Group CEO, Grab
- Marjorie Yang, Chairman, Esquel Group
- Janet Yellen, Former Chair of the U.S. Federal Reserve Board of Governors
- Zhang Lei, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Hillhouse Capital Management Group
Advisory Board members of the New Economy Forum include Dr. Henry A. Kissinger, along with Henry M. Paulson, Jr. and Zeng Peiyan as co-Chairs. Reliance Industries Limited Chairman Mukesh Ambani, Alibaba Executive Chairman Jack Ma, Tomoh Advisory CEO Dr. Bassem I. Awadallah and Chairman of Ofer Global Eyal Ofer have joined the forum’s Advisory Board, made up of a group of world leaders across the highest ranks of business, government, education and philanthropy. Additional members include Bill Gates, Gary Cohn, Jorge Paulo Lemann, Jean Liu, Lou Jiwei, Penny Pritzker, Raghuram Rajan, Condoleezza Rice, David Rubenstein, Kevin Rudd, Tu Guangshao, Tung Chee-hwa, Xie Zhenhua, Janet Yellen, Fu Ying, Zhao Qizheng, Zhou Xiaochuan, and more.
“I am honored to join the New Economy Forum as I believe it is more important than ever for global leaders to come together to address the critical challenges facing our world today,” said Jack Ma, Executive Chairman of Alibaba Group. “We have the potential to harness technology for the benefit of society and to unleash the power of global trade to create economic opportunity for all. To do this requires leadership cooperation from all sectors.”
“It is with great pleasure that I join the advisory board of the New Economy Forum, a new and necessary platform for today’s new economy leaders,” said Mukesh Ambani. “As India embarks on its high growth journey to double the size of its economy by 2025, and as companies like Reliance Industries experience unprecedented growth, it is imperative for new economy leaders to be addressing the common issues we face across technology, climate, inclusion and finance – so we can better future societies.”
Together with the forum’s knowledge partner, McKinsey Global Institute, the New Economy Forum will produce solutions to important global issues, covering six themes: globalization and trade, technology, finance and capital markets, climate, urbanization, and inclusion.
“One of the key aspects that truly sets the Bloomberg New Economy Forum apart from other conferences is its singular focus on developing a set of concrete solutions to address some of the world’s greatest challenges,” said Kevin Sneader, Global Managing Partner of McKinsey & Company. “We will be working closely with Bloomberg and participants at the forum to produce actionable solutions to be led by the private sector, practical enough to see results starting to appear within 12-24 months.”
The two day forum will cover key topics including “Remaking Global Trade,” “Managing the Supply Chain Threat,” “The Future of Global Manufacturing,” “Energy Challenges in the New Economies,” “Managing the Next Financial Shock,” “Financing the New Economy,” “Supercities in the 21st Century” and “The Geopolitics of Markets.” The forum will consist of plenary meetings, in-depth conversations, breakout sessions, and closed-door solutions workshops. Please see agenda here.
Bloomberg and the Chinese Center for International Economic Exchanges (CCIEE) will host the 2019 New Economy Forum in Beijing in November next year.
For media interested in covering the New Economy Forum, please register here or contact us at:
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company’s strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Terminal. Bloomberg’s enterprise solutions build on the company’s core strength: leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. For more information, visit bloomberg.com/company or request a demo.